Humor and laughter are the most undervalued and underrated tools in society.
The powers of humor and laughter are numerous.They entertain us and make us feel good, but above all, we have discovered that humor and laughter are the best medicine, they heal, alleviate pain, relieve stress and anxiety, are anti-aging and longevity facilitators and much more.......
They are essential in helping us to find and maintain balance in life and career.However, they are slipping away from us. We have become far too serious. The only ones who still enjoy humor, laughter, fun and play to the fullest are young children.
Children tend to laugh an average of 400 times a day. For adults however, it is a totally different story.
A recent laughter study shows that:
64 % of people smile less than 20 times a day at home
72 % smile less than 20 times a day at work
The International Congress of humor found that laughter is down 66 - 82% worldwide of what it was in the 1950's.
In the 1950's people laughed on the average 18 times a day. Today, we are lucky if we average between 4-6 times a day.
In my research on 'humor and laughter' and in speaking to audiences about these topics, there is one important factor I discovered. Uncontrollable laughter always happens from interaction with others.
As a matter of fact, a recent study found that people laugh 6 more times in the presence of one person and 30 more times in a group of people.
You can get a chuckle from jokes you get on the Internet, but it is not the same as the belly jiggling, rib tickling laughter you get from when you interact with others.
Electronic media such as, television, computer, Internet, video, CD's, and audio equipment provide us with instant self-entertainment at the press of a button, where in the past people went outside their homes to entertain themselves.
Socializing with friends and relatives were much 'looked forward to' entertainment. This is no longer the case. As a matter of fact, the majority of people, especially where both partners hold jobs, can hardly find the time, nor do they have the inclination for socializing outside the home.
The workplace does not fare much better. Due to the pressures to produce more in the same ,or less hours available, and having to compete for example in the manufacturing sector with cheaper labor elsewhere in the world, humor and laughter in the workplace have eroded as well.
In these web pages you will discover the powerful impact of humor and laughter in health, healing, stress relief, workplace effectiveness, patients, health-care professionals and emergency staff morale and many more.
I have developed a real appreciation, perhaps closer to a passion for the powers of humor and laughter.This prompted me to write my first book titled 'The Power of Humor,'and subsequently my second book titled 'Kids say the doggonest things' based on the natural humor, laughter, play and fun that kids experience and which they freely share with parents, grandparents, and teachers.
From writing about humor and laughter, people started to ask me to speak on them. To date, I have developed a number of 'humor-laughter' topics that I use in my keynote presentations. For more information see my Humor Motivational Speaker web page
You are invited to subscribe to my free monthly e-zine - 'The Humormeister's Forum' by clicking on the 'humor e-zine' navigation button on this web site.
- Home Page
- How I ventured into humor and laughter
- Advertising and Humor
- humor in advertising products and services
- Anti-aging and Laughter
- There is a definite connection between laughter and longevity
- Baby Boomers Humor
- Baby Boomer Humor
- Bumper Stickers
- Bumper Stickers address the humor side of life
- Cancer and humor
- Humor can help cope with cancer because of the positive effect on the body and mind
- contact us
- Contact us with your feedback or suggestions for this web site.
- Creativity and humor
- Humor stimulates creativity and facilitates more successful problem-solving
- Famous humorous quotes
- Famous humorous quotes from well-known personalities
- Famous Laughter Quotes
- Famous laughter quotes from around the world
- Free Humor E-book
- Free Humor E-book titled "Lighten up! This is the only life you've got" that illustrates how important humor and laughter are in our lives
- free humor ezine
- Free monthly humor ezine
- Funny ads
- funny ads that have appeared in newspapers and other publications
- Funny Facts
- A collection of random funny facts
- Kids expressions
- Kids expressions can be funny!
- Funny Love Quotes
- Enjoy a good laugh with these hilarious funny love quotes
- Funny One Liners
- Funny One-liners
- Fun Quiz
- Is the 'Fun Factor' in your life slipping away from you? Take the 'Fun Quiz' and find out!
- Funny Quotes
- Funny quotes
- Funny Sayings
- Funny sayings
- Funny Signs
- There are funny signs all around us
- Grieving and Humor
- gGieving is possible by using humor to provide you with a lift and different perspective at a time when you need it the most
- 7 habits of highly happy people
- Seven habits of highly happy people
- happiness factor
- Happiness and laughter seem hard to define for some, while easily embraced by others
- Happiness Facts
- A collection of happiness facts based on studies and research
- Happiness is
- An explanation what happiness means and what it entails
- Happiness Quiz
- Take the happiness quiz to get an idea of just how happy you really are.
- Happiness quotes
- happiness quotes from around the world
- Happy relationships
- The critical factors required for happiness and success in relationships
- Health and laughter
- Health and laughter combine to positively affect the whole body
- health benefits & humor / laughter
- The social, physical and mental health benefits of humor and laughter
- History of Humor and Laughter
- The historical evolution and recognition of humor and laughter
- How laughter works
- How laughter works in developing and improving your sense of humor
- How to find happiness
- How to find 'Happiness' in life
- How to find laughter
- How to find laughter in everyday life
- Life and humor
- Humor is the spice of life, so why is it so difficult for some of us to seek it out and hang on to it?
- Funny Bumper Stickers
- Improve your outlook on life, one bumper sticker at a time
- Humor Blog
- Humor blog keeps you informed about the latest research and study results on the benefits of humor and laughter.
- Humor Friends Links
- Humor web sites that we recommend
- Humor Laughter Store
- Humor books for you to enjoy!
- Humor Heals
- Humor not only entertains and amuses us, it is a great healing too, it boosts the immune system, reduces pain and stress, spreads happiness, and disarms fear
- Humor Quiz
- The humor quiz gives you an idea on how you rate on humor, laughter, fun and happiness
- Humorous Facts
- A collection of humorous facts that are guaranteed to make you laugh
- Humorous Headlines
- Hilarious headlines that appeared in newspapers across the country
- Importance of Laughter
- The importance of laughter to our health and well-being is becoming increasingly more recognized
- Kids laughter
- Kids' laughter is like music to the ears
- Laughter and Longevity
- Research shows that laughter and a sense of humor has an effect on longevity and quality of life in later years
- Benefits of laughter
- Find out the many benefits of laughter, and how they can positively effect your physical, mental and emotional well-being
- laughter best medicine
- Research supports the fact that laughter may indeed be the best medicine
- Laughter Cure
- Many studies are now confirming that using laughter therapy to cure patients has tremendous potential
- Laughter Expert
- Laughter experts findings of what makes us laugh
- Laughter Facts
- Interesting laughter facts derived rom research and studies
- Laughter Quiz
- Test you laughter laughter knowledge with this fun quiz
- Laughter sayings
- Laughter sayings that will tickle your funny bone
- Laughter Studies
- Laughter study and research show laughter is good for your health
- Laughter Yoga
- Laughter Yoga was started as an experiment which developed into a world-wide laughter success
- Marriage and Humor
- The importance of humor in marriage is a key element for a successful and lasting relationship.
- Funny Mothers Quotes
- A collection of 'Mothers Quotes' that are funny and will take you back to your youth
- Norman Cousins laughter story
- Norman Cousins' laughter story tells about the healing benefits of laughter and healing with laughter
- Laughter for nurses
- Laughter for nurses is a means to remain positive and effective in the practice of their profession
- Office Humor
- How to liven up the office environment with humor
- Patient Humor
- Patient humor has been recognized as an effective component of the healing process
- Physicians and humor
- Physicians recognition of humor effects on healing and humor quotes as dictated from medical records
- Humor-laughter quotes
- A collection of humor and laughter quotes
- Sense of humor
- Developing a sense of humor is a personal as well as a career asset
- Sex and Humor
- Sex and Humor are not incompatible.
- Smile Facts
- An extensive collection on smile facts from research and studies including quotes fro Dale Carnegie
- Smile Power
- Fnd the many powers you can gain with your smile
- Smile Quotes
- A collection of smile quotes from all over the world
- stress relief with humor
- Stress relief with humor, an effective technique stress management technique
- Taking laughing seriously
- Taking laughing seriously makes sense in our personal lives and the workplace
- The body and laughter
- The physival effects of laughter on the body
- Weight-loss and Laughter
- Laughter can definitely help people in their weight-loss process
- Why we laugh
- Why we laugh intrigues scientists, because understanding it could someday explain how the brain works and how to repair damage when it occurs.
- Work Bumper Stickers
- Work related bumper stickers that provide a humorous perspective of work and the workplace
- Workplace Humor
- How to 'lighten up' the workplace with some humor and laughter