Humor and laughter are underrated and undervalued
Humor and laughter are the most underrated and undervalued tools in society.
The powers of humor and laughter are numerous.They entertain us and make us feel good, but above all, we have discovered that humor and laughter are the best medicine, they heal, alleviate pain, relieve stress and anxiety, are anti-aging and longevity facilitators and much more.......
They are essential in helping us to find and maintain balance in life and career.However, they are slipping away from us. We have become far too serious. The only ones who still enjoy humor, laughter, fun and play to the fullest are young children.
Children tend to laugh an average of 400 times a day. For adults however, it is a totally different story.
A recent laughter study shows that:
64 % of people smile less than 20 times a day at home
72 % smile less than 20 times a day at work
The International Congress of humor found that laughter is down 66 - 82% worldwide of what it was in the 1950's.
In the 1950's people laughed on the average 18 times a day. Today, we are lucky if we average between 4-6 times a day.
In my research on 'humor and laughter' and in speaking to audiences about these topics, there is one important factor I discovered. Uncontrollable laughter always happens from interaction with others.
As a matter of fact, a recent study found that people laugh 6 more times in the presence of one person and 30 more times in a group of people.
You can get a chuckle from jokes you get on the Internet, but it is not the same as the belly jiggling, rib tickling laughter you get from when you interact with others.
Electronic media such as, television, computer, Internet, video, CD's, and audio equipment provide us with instant self-entertainment at the press of a button, where in the past people went outside their homes to entertain themselves.
Socializing with friends and relatives were much 'looked forward to' entertainment. This is no longer the case. As a matter of fact, the majority of people, especially where both partners hold jobs, can hardly find the time, nor do they have the inclination for socializing outside the home.
The workplace does not fare much better. Due to the pressures to produce more in the same ,or less hours available, and having to compete for example in the manufacturing sector with cheaper labor elsewhere in the world, humor and laughter in the workplace have eroded as well.
In these web pages you will discover the powerful impact of humor and laughter in health, healing, stress relief, workplace effectiveness, patients, health-care professionals and emergency staff morale and many more.
I have developed a real appreciation, perhaps closer to a passion for the powers of humor and laughter.This prompted me to write my first book titled 'The Power of Humor,'and subsequently my second book titled 'Kids say the doggonest things' based on the natural humor, laughter, play and fun that kids experience and which they freely share with parents, grandparents, and teachers.
From writing about humor and laughter, people started to ask me to speak on them. To date, I have developed a number of 'humor-laughter' topics that I use in my keynote presentations. For more information see my Humor Motivational Speaker web page
You are invited to subscribe to my free monthly e-zine - 'The Humormeister's Forum' by clicking on the 'humor e-zine' navigation button on this web site.
- Home Page
- How I ventured into humor and laughter
- Anti-aging and Laughter
- There is a definite connection between laughter and anti-aging
- Baby Boomers Humor
- Baby Boomer Humor
- Cancer Humor Therapy
- Humor can help cope with cancer because of the positive effect on the body and mind
- contact us
- Contact us with your feedback or suggestions for this web site.
- Dog Humor Quotes
- Humorous quotes about dogs
- Famous humor quotes
- Famous humorous quotes from well-known personalities
- Funny Cat Quotes
- Funny cat quotes that will tickle your funny bone
- Surgeon Humor
- Surgeon humor,. The things a patient doesn't want to hear in surgery.
- free humor ezine
- Free monthly humor ezine
- Funny ads
- funny ads that have appeared in newspapers and other publications
- FunnyBumper Stickers
- Bumper Stickers address the humor side of life
- Funny Facts
- A collection of random funny facts
- Funny One-Liners
- Funny One-liners
- Fun Quiz
- Is the 'Fun Factor' in your life slipping away from you? Take the 'Fun Quiz' and find out!
- Funny Quotes
- Funny quotes
- Funny Signs
- Funny signs all around us
- Grieving and Humor
- Humor when grieving, can provide you with a different perspective
- 7 habits of highly happy people
- Seven habits of highly happy people
- Happiness Factor
- Happiness is hard to define for some, while easily embraced by others
- Happiness Facts
- A collection of happiness facts based on extensive psychological research
- Happiness Quiz
- Take the happiness quiz to get an idea of just how happy you really are.
- Happiness quotes
- happiness quotes from around the world
- Happy Lifestyle
- What it takes to adopt a happy blifestyle
- health benefits & humor / laughter
- The social, physical and mental health benefits of humor and laughter
- History of Humor and Laughter
- The historical evolution and recognition of humor and laughter
- Humor Blog
- Humor blog keeps you informed about the latest research and study results on the benefits of humor and laughter.
- Humor and Sex
- Sex and Humor are not incompatible.
- Humor and Creativity
- Humor stimulates creativity and facilitates more successful problem-solving
- Humor Friends Links
- Humor web sites that we recommend
- Humor Healing Power
- Humor has great healing power, it boosts the immune system, reduces pain and stress, spreads happiness, and disarms fear
- Humor Quiz
- The humor quiz gives you an idea on how you rate on humor, laughter, fun and happiness
- Humor Stress Relief
- Stress relief with humor, an effective technique stress management technique
- Humorous Ambiguity
- Humorous ambiguity and other idiosyncracies of the English language
- Humorous Facts
- A collection of humorous facts that are guaranteed to make you laugh
- Kids' laughter
- Kids' laughter is as natural as rain
- Laughter and Longevity
- Research shows that laughter and a sense of humor has an effect on longevity and quality of life in later years
- Laughter Benefits
- Find out the many benefits of laughter, and how they can positively effect your physical, mental and emotional well-being
- laughter best medicine
- Research supports the fact that laughter may indeed be the best medicine
- Laughter Quiz
- Test you laughter knowledge with this fun quiz
- Laughter Quotes
- Laughter quotes that will tickle your funny bone
- Laughter Yoga
- Laughter Yoga , a worldwide success!
- Lighten up!
- We have become much too serious. We need to lighten up and smell the roses.
- LOL Bumper Stickers
- LOL, improve your outlook on life, one bumper sticker at a time
- Love, Marriage and Humor
- Humor in love and marriage is a key element for a successful and lasting relationship.
- Magic of Laughter
- The magical powers of laughter continue to be discovered
- Medical Humor
- Humor is increasingly recognized as an important tool in the healing process
- Mystery of Laughter
- Why we laugh intrigues scientists, because understanding it could someday explain how the brain works and how to repair damage when it occurs.
- Norman Cousins story
- Norman Cousins' laughter story tells about the healing benefits of laughter and healing with laughter
- Office Humor
- How to liven up the office environment with humor
- Patient Humor Therapy
- Patient humor has been recognized as an effective way of assisting in the healing process
- Power of Humor
- Humor is the spice of life, so why is it so difficult for some of us to seek it out and hang on to it?
- Share a Laugh
- Share a luaghter story or experience!
- Smile Power
- Fnd the many powers you can gain with your smile
- Smile Quotes
- A collection of smile quotes from all over the world
- How to devlop a Sense of Humor
- How to develop a sense of humor
- Smile Facts
- A collection of 'smile facts' that informing and entertaining
- Weight-loss Humor Therapy
- Humor and Laughter can help people with losing weight
- Workplace Fun Quiz
- Workplace fun quiz
- contact us with your feedback