LOL in love and marriage is a key element in successful and lasting relationships. In all 'Partners Wanted' ads, a 'sense of humor' is a prime prerequisite.
- Love is temporary insanity curable by marriage - Ambrose Bierce
- Some people ask about the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays - Henry Youngman
- If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question - Lily Tomlin
- Do you know what it means to come home at night to a woman who'll give you a little love, a little affection, a little kindness? It means you're in the wrong house, that's what it means - George Burns
- Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same - Oscar Wilde
- I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her - Author unknown
- A married man should forget his mistakes, no use two people remembering the same thing - Duane Dewel
- I've had bad luck with both wives. The first one left me and the second one didn't - Patrick Murray
- Men should be like kleenex, soft, strong and disposable - Cher
- Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you - Mae West
- Never go to bed mad - stay up and fight - Phyllis Diller
- Once you have loved someone, you'd do anything in the world for them......except love again - anonymous
- Love is like war - easy to begin, but hard to end
- It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced - anonymous
- I love being married. It's so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life - Rita Rudner
- Do not marry a man to reform him. That is what reform schools are for - Mae West
- If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
'We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh' - Agnes Repplier
One of the more reliable signs that a marriage is working is if the marriage partners laugh together frequently. Laughter is a very rational way to deal with the totally irrational aspects of life such as the rough spots in a marriage.
It is totally unrealistic to think that two people can agree all the time. Most of us tend to take life far too seriously. Humor provides us with a way to minimize our problems and find some humor in our difficulties and accept some of our human weaknesses.
Laughter in relationships can help us get out of a rut, and help us get over some of the hurdles in the relationship. Laughter allows you to relax and enjoy one another even if you disagree on certain things.
So how do you deal with some of the difficult issues? Humor is the answer and the easiest way. It allows you to put things in perspective and helps you move from your rigid position.
When tensions are loosened, you can more easily achieve harmony with each other. Humor and laughter have positive physical, mental and emotional effects on marriage partners.
Research has found that people with a sense of humor have fewer symptoms of physical ailments than those without a sense of humor.
In addition to the physical benefits, humor and laughter not only help us cope with the small everyday types of issues, but also with the more sad and tragic issues.
It is not suggested that we become comedians, although we can certainly take some advice from professionals in the entertainment world.
Bob Hope once said, "Laughter is an instant vacation." Jay Leno has said,"You can't stay mad at somebody who makes you laugh." And Bob Cosby provides this nugget, "If you can find humor in anything, you can survive it/"
Studies show that people with a sense of humor are less likely to experience stress, burnout, or depression. And they are more likely to enjoy life including marriage.
Here are a few pointers to keep the humor and laughter alive in marriage.
- Don't take yourself too seriously. Do yourself a favor 'Lighten up!" - live longer - live happier
- Poke fun at each other. Find out what type of humor your partner enjoys, however, know how far can take things
- Learn to laugh in difficult times. Since we are prone to stress, and tend to 'loose it' from time to time, remember, the best way to cope is with humor and laughter. Humor and laughter make things more tolerable Chuck Swendoll said it very well in this statement: "Humor helps flush out the nervous system"
- Look for the humor around you. A joke heard on the radio, a funny story in the newspaper, a funny personal experience, some of the kid's funny expressions
- Take your humor seriously. Explore what your partner enjoys in humor. Is it the newspaper cartoons, TV sitcoms? Learn to enjoy some of these together
Always remember - The couple that laughs together stays together