Weight-loss Humor Therapy
Weight-loss humor therapy is reflected in the International Journal of Obesity which published that humor and laughter can assist with weight loss.
Researchers discovered that laughing increases both the heart rate and calorie burn by 20%. The longer people laughed, the greater effects. Just 15 minutes of laughter a day burns 40 calories.. depending on how much you weigh, and the duration and intensity of laughter.
- 15 minutes of laughter will result in 1 - 4 lbs loss of weight a year
- Giggling for 15 minutes a day will burn up to 5 lbs off your weight in a year
Patch Adams, the physician and clown, made famous with the movie by the same name, with actor Robin Williams portraying Patch Adams, stated, "It's not really laughter that is a great power, but the life that leads to laughter and the readiness to laugh at things."
From a 'Yoga Laughter Leader' perspective - If there is a weight loss from laughing, it is due to people feeling better about themselves. If you can practice laughter, exercise and eat a healthy diet, people will lose weight and feel good in the process.
When we laugh, people forget about their stresses, and the problems they face, because we can't have fun and be stressed at the same time. When we are in a happier frame of mind, it becomes less difficult to take on exercise and adopt a healthier eating pattern.
So can a few minutes of laughter a day of hearty laughter replace your exercise equipment? Not likely, but giggles, laughter, or a combination of laughter and exercise, such as 'laughter Yoga' definitely does help burn calories and can help you in your weight loss program.
- The older you get, the tougher to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.
- I keep trying to lose weight, but it keeps finding me.
- I gave up jogging for health reasons. My thighs kept rubbing together and setting my pants on fire.
- If you want to look young - hang around with old fat people.
- It's called DIET because all other 4 letter words were taken.
- Some people are afraid of heights. I'm afraid of widths.
- My body is a temple with ample parking in the rear.
- The most fattening thing you put in an apple pie is a spoon.
- There is nothing lite about cellulite.
- A middle age spread is the result of too many times around the table.
- I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.
- I've been on a diet for two weeks. So far I have lost fourteen days.
- I'm not fat! I'm fluffy!
- Weight-loss advice. Let's keep it simple.....just eat the things you don't like.
- Dieters Prayer......
As I wake up from sleep
I pray my diet I may keep
But if temptations make me slip
I pray the Lord my pants won't rip
- Weight Watchers Leaders use humor to grab people's attention. Here are some of the humor quips they have used:
- As I get older, my age and my weight became the same number - 32, 34, 36......
- I can arrive at a wedding a size 12 and leave a size 14. I've had to undo my bra to keep eating!
- My husband is on the military diet - Captain Crunch and Colonel Sanders.
- Fatty foods give me amnesia. I remember the to count salad but forget the cheesecake.
See the humor in life!